Saturday, July 22, 2006

I wanted to
find some info on SPI. Simulation Publications Inc. SPI was a war game company that launched Strategy & Tactics magazine. I first began to subscribe to S&T after hearing about the magazine in 1973. S&T was a magazine that had a complete war game in each bi monthly issue. I recall how I had a subscription to S&T and really looked forward to every issue. This was when I was 20 years old and deciding what to do with the rest of my life. I recall enjoying each issue while I lived in the condo at the top of Clarke road as it turned down into Port Moody. So I did a Wikipedia search and came across SPI and S&T. Some names surfaced. Jim Dunnigan was the founder of SPI and later Redmon Simonson took over as the art director of S&T. It was this that inspired me to be the so called "art director" for the Trumpeter. Even though I had no formal art training. But that was the following year. I recall devouring every issue of S&T. I played the games too. So I did a name search on Redmon Simonson and learned that he passed away and died last year at the age of 63. Very sad. S&T still lives on by Decision Games and I think is onto issue #223. Every issue still features a game published by monthly. I was considering subscribing again. I mean a 2 year sub is something like $65CND. I don't think I'll ever get a chance to play the games but the magazine has value just for the articles.

I was in bed by 12:40am and had the radio on for awhile then I passed out. I woke up somewhere around maybe 2:30am. Anne had come to bed and turned off the AC. Sleep was hard to come by after that. The AC wasn't on long enough to make a difference in the room after that. I woke up at 6am to feed the cats and went back to bed for a couple of hours. It was so warm in there all I could do was to doze off.

I'm okay now though and certainly not tired at all and ready to go into work for my 4 hours this morning. I've got to pick up 3 doz asst donuts for the staff on my way in, so that's not too bad. I'm going to opt out for one today but I'm going to ask for 2 donuts to be plain without sugar for Pat and myself. If they have them.

After work I'm going to head over to Audrey's books and pick something up. The goal is to read one SF/F book a week. With my readin habit's that's a real ambitious goal.

This weekend is the Edmonton Grand Prix and from the news scans of the qualifying rounds, there doesn't seem to be the same crowd numbers in the stands as there was last year. I think the heat could be keeping people away.

Before I go, I'd like to make a plug for Keith Grahams Blog. Keith is an avid Blogger and Harmonica player among his many tallents. Check out his Blog. Great reading.

I'll pop back in later.

e.Jim

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home