Wednesday, January 25, 2006

working on Chapter 3. Slightly reworking my idea. Instead of using pencil I’m thinking of just typing it out and print the hard copy as I go.

Hey, I’m back in contact with Markus and he’s helping me out again. Well, Anne and I separtly, her in the bedroom me in the living room were watching a movie, (2003) Cunterstrike until 3:am but I couldn’t sleep so I thought I’d stay up to rad and then take my insulin around 4am, this time and I checked my bsl reading and I found I was at 10.3. Yikes. What I liked about the movie was it’s technical aspects and submarine shots and the action wasn’t bad but predictble as in where have we seen this before?

On another sad note, back in 1978, when I was working at Army & Navy, we had this fellow working with us, Darryl Lakusta. Darryl was a short Ukrainian guy. I recalled how he was an accordian player in a local band called The Rhythm Kings. I never saw him play but I think I did see pictures of him and he kept saying that he played often at the “Red Barn”. Darryl was a likeable sort, allways smoked these Cuban style cigars and often wore this touqe like in Bob and Doug Mckenzie, from the SCTV days. Some of the things that Darryl did pissed me off because he kept on getting me into trouble with Sam Warhaft, our boss. Sam was a great guy and allways hired me back when I needed work. I remember a night out when I first started working there and got my first paycheck, Darryl, Mark Baker and what I thought was Darryl’s wife as he promoted, we were all at the Beachcombers. This was a Tiki type Polynisian estabishment, where the Scotia Place now stands. This would be Nov.1978. Also, Darryl sponsored me for my first and only bank account in this City. This was before Pin numbers and crap like that. Darryl was a nice guy but fancied himself as a foreman to Sam. This was even before the Lepage building behind where my wife works when it was just a gravel parking lot. We used to walk through there to the “Brown bagger”, a little olace where they had cheep burgers. Darryl was also part of my life in 1980 when I ran into a bit of trouble, but that’s something I can’t talk about here. Not trouble with him but something else in my life, with Ellen and of course he was exterior to the scen going down in 1980. When I returned to work in 1982, Darryl had moved on in his life and over the years more recently, I had allways wondered what had happened to him. Quite often though, I see names on the screen at work when we call Edmonton, and there are various spelling changes of Lakusta. Last night however, I got the name on my screen. An elderly woman. I asked her if she has a Son named Darryl. She said she had but he had died from complications relating to diabeties 6.5 years ago. We talked for a bit and just to make sure I had the right Darryl, she confirmed everyting I had asked, like his toque, the Rhythym Kings, his accordian, that type of thing and it was the same guy. Poor Darryl. So a bit of my life has some closure to it.

Anyhow, time to do some brief blogging here while I can.

e.Jim

Comments:
howdy mr. Shannon I just read your story about Darryl Lakusta and i need more information please....he used to be a friend of mine a few years ago and i was wondering what happen to him but i just heard that he died a few years ago... my e mail is yvp43@hotmail.com
thanks you
 
Howdy Mr. Shannon i just read your story about Darryl Lakusta and i used to know him a few years ago when i lived in Edmonton ..i just learned that he died that is very sad... I would like to know more information please my e mail is yvp43@hotmail.com

Thanks you
 
howdy mr. Shannon I just read your story about Darryl Lakusta and i need more information please....he used to be a friend of mine a few years ago and i was wondering what happen to him but i just heard that he died a few years ago... my e mail is yvp43@hotmail.com
thanks you
 
Post a Comment



<< Home